Wednesday 25 December 2013

The byproduct we all approve

I vaguely remember that moment when we were little kids, me and my sister hung a pair of socks in the living room, the night before Christmas. It was the first time we tried that owing to some high level tip off that my sister got through her friends in class. And to say that we were excited at the prospect of some gifts springing up from the socks was an understatement, and it also goes without saying that disappointed flooded us the next day.

And when I look back at that incident as I write this, I am all smiles. Well, because, I am sure if my mother knew about our trials of Santa calling, she would have put something there. But putting that bitter-sweet memory behind, now I do realize what a cheerful, exciting and fun filled festival Christmas actually is. Even though I could be taken for a complete novice as far as the customs related to it are concerned, I know enough that it is so much about cakes, new dresses, little gifts, huge gifts, pretty dresses, cool shirts, family gathering and friends gathering, in short the recipe of not just Christmas, but most of the festivals.

They actually happen to be the only by product, of the world wide paranoiac phenomena called religion, that I actually approve of. I feel like it is one of those moments when religion rubs it in an atheist’s face showing off the rare piece of cool stuff that it has up its sleeve. And well, yes, if you think about it, it is really cool. Christmas propagates the idea of joy of giving. The greatest joy is not in buying for ourselves but for presenting and receiving from others. Be it on the pretext of love, while deep down its tradition, we give.

People for once- well, 20 times in most of the religions here- every year have got the license to celebrate irrespective of the highs and lows of one’s life. If you have achieved something personally (or money’s rotten up there in the attic), all the much more merrier, but if things are as they always are, or things aren’t as they ought to be, these days give us a reason to forget all those chains of disappointment hanging off our shoulders for once.

If the rich live the Christmas big, the poor too have it big, for once, in their own spaces. And for me that’s what Christmas is all about. It is a reason to celebrate.

We could imagine a world without religion. (Seriously, How wonderful would that be?!?!?!?)
But would we be able to imagine a world without festivals?
Probably Not. (I would personally miss all the free cake pieces)

Merry Christmas!!!     

No comments:

Post a Comment